Sunday, March 23, 2014

Progress and a trip to Nashville


A week ago, Two weeks ago, Okay, okay three weeks ago, my DH and I took a long weekend trip to Nashville and stayed in the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center.  This is not your ordinary hotel - it is extraordinary and you can find plenty to do inside the resort to keep you busy and never want to leave.  However, we had picked a couple of places we wanted to see on this visit, the Nashville Parthenon and Antique Archaeology  and we made it to both.  The Parthenon is a full size replica of the one in Greece and was first created for the World's Fair in 1897.  It was later dismantled and rebuilt (but there is history in that, too) taking 10 years to rebuild  1921-1931.  The Parthenon in Greece took 10 years to build, too.  The one in Greece is carved from Pentelic Marble, whereas the one in Nashville is made of cast concrete aggregate, stone, brick, and structural reinforced concrete.  It was fascinating.  If you ever get to Nashville it is a wonderful place to visit.  It is located in their Centennial Park.  

 The Nashville Parthenon

Parthenon from entrance side.  It was a very cloudy but warm day.


Bronze lions head on 24'H x 7'W doors. Doors weigh 7.5 tons each.

Detail above front entrance to Parthenon

 Antique Archeology



End of building that houses Antique Archeology



Building above entrance to Antique Archeology



Indian motorcycle at Antique Archeology

 Inside Antique Archeology

The Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center

 
The Cascades Atrium

A map to the Resort

Us in front of one of the many waterfalls


Another waterfall - beautfiul

A peaceful walkway.



Balconies!

The river boat in the Delta atrium

This was our windshield. The roads were finally clear, we had checked out of the hotel and didn't have an ice scraper and now what? We used my comb!  Aren't we creative?

I hope you enjoyed my rather picture intensive post of our recent trip.  If you remember I started my first line with.....A week ago, Two weeks ago, Okay, okay three weeks ago.  Well, every time I tried to put this post together something would happen.  The pictures wouldn't load, blogger is down and it can't save your current post (or some such wording), something would come up and I wouldn't finish.  Today it all worked - yippee!  I did learn not to put in so many pictures next time.

Hope your weekend is going well!
Karen



1 comment:

  1. Oh, I wish you had told me you would be in town, Karen! I live just about twenty minutes away from the Opryland Hotel! And do you know, I've lived here for 25 years and have never been inside the Parthenon? Isn't that ridiculous? Looks like you had a fabulous trip!

    ReplyDelete